Vegan Stuffed Shells
This Vegan Stuffed Shells recipe is entirely plant-based, but it is so tasty that even omnivores would enjoy it. This recipe uses conchiglie pasta shells, but the filling will also work well in manicotti shells. Fun fact: The word “conchiglie” is derived from the word “conchiglia,” which is an Italian word that means “sea shell,” since the pasta looks like sea shells. Find the seasonings used here.
Prep Time: 25-30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
2 Tbsp. Journey Spice Co. Organic Tuscan Seasoning
1½ Tbsp. Journey Spice Co. Organic Savory Garlic Herb
12 oz. of conchiglie pasta shells (you can use manicotti shells if you prefer)
3 cups yellow potatoes
3 cups cashews
3 cups tightly packed baby spinach
2 cups plant-based milk
¾ cup nutritional yeast
2 garlic cloves
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
marinara sauce for drizzling
Optional: 1 cup plant-based sausage, plant-based shredded mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil the pasta shells or manicotti shells by following the directions on the package. Tip: After draining the pasta, immediately stir in about a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking together.
- At the same time the pasta is boiling, cut the yellow potatoes into cubes, cook until soft, and drain the water.
- In a medium, non-stick pan, pour in a tsp. of extra virgin olive oil and brown the plant-based sausage if you use it. In the same pan, sauté the baby spinach for about one and a half minutes until it is semi-wilted (remember that this ingredient still needs to be baked in the oven, so try not to overdo it). Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to add the spinach in a few batches.
- Add the Journey Spice Co. Organic Tuscan Seasoning, cooked potatoes, cashews, garlic cloves, nutritional yeast, squeezed juice from the lemon, and plant-based milk in a food processor. Chop/pulse for about three minutes or until ingredients are smoothly blended.
- Mix the ingredients from the food processor, the plant-based sausage (if using), and the baby spinach in a large bowl.
- Lightly spray a large oven pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Gently stuff each shell with the mixture, making sure not to overstuff. You can use a small spoon to stuff the shells, but you can also use your hands (yes, messy, but thankfully hands are washable!). Place each shell on the oven pan.
- Liberally drizzle each shell with marinara sauce and sprinkle with the Journey Spice Co. Organic Savory Garlic Herb. Also, sprinkle with plant-based shredded mozzarella cheese if using.
- Bake for 25 minutes and enjoy!
Nutrition Per Serving (estimated and may vary depending on brands and types of products used):
Makes 6 Servings