Grilled Pizza with Grilled Toppings
Grilled Pizza with Grilled Toppings is the perfect summery dinner idea! If grilling pizza dough on the grill seems intimidating and complicated, think again. It is actually fairly easy, and most of the time spent on this recipe is waiting for the dough to rise. The pizza dough is extra herby and savory thanks to the addition of our Journey Spice Co. Organic Pizza Seasoning.
Prep Time: About an hour and 30 minutes
Cook Time: About 25-30 minutes
Ingredients for Pizza Dough:
1 ½ Tbsp. Journey Spice Co. Organic Pizza Seasoning
3 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ cups warm water
8 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
½ Tbsp. active dry yeast
½ tsp. sugar
½ tsp. salt
Ingredient Ideas for Pizza Toppings:
- Extra Journey Spice Co. Organic Pizza Seasoning or other Journey Spice Co. seasonings to sprinkle on top.
- Marinara sauce, pesto sauce, Alfredo sauce, and even BBQ sauce!
- Sliced red onions, sliced bell peppers, olives, asparagus, pineapple, mushrooms, zucchini, and more.
- Shredded mozzarella, parmesan, goat cheese, ricotta, vegan-friendly cheese, and many other types of cheese.
- Sausage, bacon, vegan-friendly “meats,” and much more!
- Set your grill to low-medium heat.
- Grill your veggies for the toppings for about 10 minutes on tin foil (we use tin foil so the veggies will not fall through the grill grates). Other toppings, especially meats, will vary greatly in cooking time.
- Set the toppings aside once grilled.
- To make the dough, pour the warm water, active dry yeast, and sugar into a large bowl, stir for a few seconds, and let stand for five minutes.
- Mix in flour, 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and salt and stir together for one minute.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth for about five minutes.
- Pour 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil in a large bowl and roll the dough around until coated in the extra virgin olive oil.
- Set aside one hour with a damp cloth over the bowl to allow the dough to rise.
- Make the herby olive oil: Mix 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and 1 ½ Tbsp. Journey Spice Co. Organic Pizza Seasoning.
- After waiting an hour for the dough to rise, split the dough into four even balls and form into flattened round shapes about a half-inch thick.
- Brush each side of the dough pieces with the herby olive oil and place on the grill for about 5-8 minutes until that side looks sufficiently cooked with light grill marks.
- Turn each piece over with a spatula and quickly add sauces, cheeses, grilled veggies, Journey Spice Co. seasonings, and any other toppings you want and let the pizzas cook with the grill hood down for another 5-8 minutes.
Nutrition Per Serving:
Makes 4 or more servings. Nutrition information will vary widely for this recipe due to topping variations.