Chickpea Apricot Moroccan Tagine
This Chickpea Apricot Moroccan Tagine recipe is incredibly flavorful, especially since we use our Journey Spice Co. Moroccan Spice Rub. Some of you may be asking, “What is a tagine?” A tagine, sometimes called tajine, is a North African dish named after the earthenware pot with a conical-shaped lid in which it is cooked. However, even if you do not own a tagine, you can still create this recipe. Traditional tagine pots, like the one we used for this recipe, must be cooked on a lower heat setting in the oven for longer than many other cooking methods. You can use a crockpot, dutch oven or make a stovetop version of this recipe. Just beware that every cooking method is going to have different cooking times. This tagine is delicious served on its own, but it is also excellent served with rice, quinoa, couscous, bread, and more.
Prep Time: 20-30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 ½ Hours
3 Tbsp. Journey Spice Co. Organic Moroccan Spice Rub
2 15-16 oz. cans of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
2 cups yellow potatoes, cubed
2 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
2 cups tomatoes, chopped
1 cup dried apricots, chopped
1 ½ cups carrots, chopped
1 red onion, chopped
8 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1 cup vegetable broth
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop the carrots, and place them in the tagine pot. Chop the onion and place it in the pot.
- Cube the yellow potatoes and sweet potatoes. We prefer to leave the skin on, but you can peel the skin off if you prefer. Place the cubes in the tagine pot.
- Chop the tomatoes and the dried apricots and put them in the tagine pot.
- Slowly pour the chickpeas evenly over the other ingredients in the tagine pot.
- Peel and slice the garlic cloves and place them in a small bowl. Add the Journey Spice Co. Organic Moroccan Spice Rub, the lemon juice, vegetable broth, and extra virgin olive oil, and stir together.
- Pour the liquid mixture evenly over the ingredients in the tagine pot.
- Place the tagine lid firmly over the pot, place in the oven, and cook for 1 ½ hours.
- Enjoy within four days.
Nutrition Per Serving (estimate):
Makes 6 Servings